Prospective PG students (inc. current UG): available
Current PG students: not available
Entry year: 2022/23
Postgraduate taught: available
Postgraduate research: not available
10 scholarships available
About the scholarship
The University of Bradford provides these scholarships to enable new students seeking asylum, or those already granted refugee status who cannot access student finance, to participate in higher education.
You must be:
- An asylum seeker or the partner/dependant of an asylum seeker; OR
- An asylum seeker/refugee/partner/dependant who has been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR) or some other form of temporary status ; OR
- A refugee who is unable to access student finance due to previous study
Please note that:
- Previous Sanctuary Scholarship winners cannot apply
Please ensure that:
- You have a conditional or unconditional offer from the University of Bradford for September 2022 start – for undergraduate study you need to apply for a Bradford course via UCAS.
- Postgraduate students will need to apply for a place on a course via the University of Bradford website.
Please also ensure that:
- You can provide a supporting statement from a school, college, community or voluntary group
- You are unable to access mainstream funding, e.g. student finance
- You live within the Bradford Metropolitan District Council Area, or live within a commutable distance to the University and be able to cover your travel costs yourself, or be able to relocate to Bradford without requiring extra financial support
- You do not require support for living expenses or accommodation
Eligible applicants are also able to get a scholarship/scholarship funding to attend a Pre-sessional English preparation course if their English language level is not high enough to meet the entry requirements of the University/your course. All students will be assessed on an individual basis. Further details of the programme can be found here: Pre-sessional English Language Programme.
Applicants must meet these strict eligibility criteria and be in a position to verify their circumstances in order to apply. Applicants who do not meet the criteria will not be considered for the scholarship.
What else do I need to know?
- This is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful.
- Following initial assessment the University will contact you to let you know whether or not your application will progress to the next stage of the selection process.
- If your application is taken forward, you will be invited to an interview to discuss the information you have provided in your application.
- If you are successful in being offered a University of Bradford Sanctuary Scholarship you will be informed within two weeks of your interview
- Applicants that knowingly submit information that is found to be misleading or fraudulent will have their applications withdrawn.
Former NHS-funded courses such as Nursing, Midwifery, Physiotherapy and Radiography will be included in the scholarship this year.
Premium fee courses in the Faculty of Management and Law e.g. the MBA are not covered by this award.
Students from all countries, who meet the criteria, are eligible.
Payment amount & frequency
Successful applicants for the Scholarship Award at the University of Bradford will be provided with:
- Tuition Fee Grant: Successful students will be offered a tuition fee-remitted (i.e. no fees) place at university until such time as they are awarded status that entitles them to access student finance (if at all)
- A Travel and Course Costs Grant: Successful students will be offered a £4,000 a year (per year if applicable) grant to help with travel and course costs.
- Personal Support: In addition to fee remission, support will be available for students to enable them to identify and overcome barriers to achievement on their degree programme and for their future careers.
How to apply
Applications will open on the 1 April 2022 – the application form will be available on this page.
Applications will close at midnight on the 30 June 2022
Find out more
For further information or any queries you can:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01274 236637