Depict Short Film Competition 2023, part of the Encounters Film Festival, invites global filmmakers to submit action films of 90 seconds or less. Win up to £2,500, industry exposure, and other exclusive prizes. Open to all worldwide, entry deadline is June 12, 2023.
Short films have long been a captivating medium for storytelling, offering filmmakers a unique opportunity to showcase their creativity and narrative skills within a concise timeframe. One exciting platform that celebrates the artistry of short films is the Depict Short Film Competition. In this blog post, we will delve into the world of this renowned competition, exploring its significance in the film industry and providing an outline to help aspiring filmmakers navigate their way through the process.
The Depict Short Film Competition has gained a stellar reputation for its commitment to promoting innovation, originality, and brevity in filmmaking. As a participant, you have the chance to showcase your talent on a prestigious stage, captivate audiences, and potentially gain recognition from industry professionals.
The purpose of this blog post is to provide an informative guide for filmmakers interested in participating in the Depict Short Film Competition. We will walk you through the various aspects of the competition, from understanding its objectives and eligibility criteria to preparing and executing your short film.
Whether you are a seasoned filmmaker or just starting your journey, this blog post aims to equip you with the necessary knowledge and resources to create a compelling short film for the Depict Short Film Competition. So, let’s dive in and explore the exciting world of short film creation and competition.
About Depict and Encounters Film Festival
The Depict Short Film Competition, a part of the Encounters Film Festival, has been a platform for budding filmmakers since its inception in 1998. Encounters spotlights short film as a vital and captivating art form, striving to validate and support new talent at pivotal points in their careers. Our mission extends beyond mere validation; we aim to equip emerging talent with the necessary resources to elevate their career and establish a space where lifelong collaborations can be formed.
Depict is centered around creative freedom and imagination. We welcome filmmakers regardless of their budget or chosen genre. The only prerequisite is originality and an ability to connect with audiences.
Benefits of Participation
Accept the Depict challenge and tap into your creativity in just 90 seconds. Here’s what you stand to gain:
- A cash prize of up to £2,500
- Invaluable industry exposure
- Screening at the BAFTA Qualifying Encounters Festival
- A collection of other exclusive prizes
- Open to anyone from anywhere in the world, and entry is absolutely free.
- Open to short films of all production techniques, including animation, documentary, drama, experimental or artist film, and hybrid work. We do NOT accept advertisements.
- Only films completed since January 2022 may be submitted. While we do not have a premiere policy, we positively encourage entries made specifically for Depict.
- Your film MUST be 90 seconds or less in duration.
- The maximum number of entries per individual is THREE.
We’re particularly interested in submissions that encompass the following elements:
- Conflict between characters
- Energy and Pace – is the storytelling or editing pacy and energetic?
- Movement – is there dynamic camera movement (or performance i.e., dance/fight sequences, etc.)
- Character – Are there good guys and bad guys?
- Adventure – Is there a sense of adventure in the story?
Your submissions could also include action sequences such as fight scenes, chase scenes, explosions, and other thrills.
How to Apply
To apply for the Depict Short Film Competition 2023, click here. For more information about the competition and Encounters Film Festival, visit the Depict Short Film Competition page. The deadline for submissions is June 12, 2023.
For contribution or questions, kindly use the comment section below!